Monday, August 23, 2010

"Do You Trust Me?"

Today is the second Monday in my commitment to take a day of rest. And I'm quite looking forward to a lack of contact and phone calls. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't enjoy talking to each of my friends throughout a day...it's the feeling of trust that I have to put into not making a day about anything "constructive".

I use the quotation marks to point out the fact that resting in God is one of the most constructive things any of us can do. It's just that it's something I'm still learning to do.

Today, Sunday I mean, was an incredible day. I woke up to a text from a friend, a psalm reminding me to trust in God, not in self. Then I did my daily reading with my Life Journal and the verses for the day were Jeremiah 29:11-13:

"For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. In those days when you pray, I will listen. If you look for me wholeheartedly, you will find me."

And as if that were not enough, I looked at my calendar once I got in the car to go to church, the quote of the day was: "Whenever you're not finding it easy to trust God...that's when you need to trust in Him the most."

I felt ecstatic, you see I have been praying for the last 4 days for God to teach me to trust in Him. And this morning, when I woke up, I decided to state that I would go where He leads and wouldn't hesitate, but I asked Him to show me the way. He did, 3 times in a period of 30 minutes, He reminded me of power that moves mountains, but took it even further.

His response to my asking to learn how to trust Him: Trust Me Daniel, I've got plans for your life. Keep praying and seeking, you will be used by Me if you are willing to open yourself up to trusting Me again."

My faith has been different since the Trip to Fort Worth, I didn't plan it that way. And honestly, I didn't ask for it either. But God knew what I was lacking, and He's determined that I lay everything else down as "not important" compared to Him. And all I can do is smile and say, "I finally get it!"

I've started a 90 day read-through of the entire Bible, at the challenge of one of my friends. At first I was afraid I couldn't maintain the schedule, but now I realize that I'm loving it. There are definitely hard days, but I told God that I could do it. How did He repay me? Matt came to me, 4 days after committing to the challenge (again with the #4). He's asked me to teach every Sunday evening for the next 12 weeks! I can't wait :)

I've made the correlation. And I'm an idiot for not figuring it out sooner...God wants us to let go...before we are given to. He wants us to drop, to receive. He wants us to take a step of faith, for Him to prove that we should trust Him.

It's time to go to bed, and it's time for me to ask God to take me a step farther. I'm learning how to trust His will and plans...now I want to learn how to have the faith that moves mountains, it's a comin :)

My son, do you trust Me?


Yes Father, with all my heart! :)