Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Call To Die - A Challenge

It's time, at least for me. Maybe once I make my case, you might realize it's time for you too. Today was the last day of Ridgecrest's Disciple Now Weekend (aka 180 Weekend). IT WAS AMAZING! But honestly, I feel that I missed out on something big. You see, Matt Oswalt (the Middle School Minister) asked the kids to partake in a group wide 40 day fast, in preparation for God's work this weekend. Many of them not only chose to do so, but DID maintain their end of the bargain the entire time. I didn't, not entirely. I made excuses or did it with a heavier heart. I'm confessing this to you because I'm starting over again tomorrow. And I'm going to post word-for-word the "Challenge" and each of the 40 days verses and thoughts, including my own. At best, this may be something that you need as well. At worst, it keeps me accountable to opening my mind and heart again.

God is working. I'm ready. My life is far too much about me anyways. Regardless of any decision made, I do ask that you would keep me (and any "unknown" others) in your prayers as I try to go where I'm feeling lead. *DISCLAIMER - Everything Below Is The Work Of Matt, not myself*




A Call To Die
A 40 Day Journey Of
Fasting From The World And Feasting On God


"When Christ calls a man, he bids him come and die." ~Dietrich Bonhoeffer

A Call To Die? Not just strong words from a theologian and martyr, but our very call from Christ himself. The call to die is open to all of us who believe, but few of us will follow when we know the real cost of discipline. It's much easier to be a nice Christian than a radical one. It's much more fun to be entertained by Jesus and the church than to struggle and strain in the pursuit of purity and the presence of God. No, the call to die is not for everybody~only for those who are serious about experiencing the greatest adventure life has to offer. If you choose to answer that call, you will be in for some very hard moments, but take heart: It's well worth it in the end. "He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." (Philippians 1:6)

How to do the 40 day journey:

This is not something to take lightly. It will take commitment of heart, time, and energy. Before you begin, look carefully at this list of requirements:

1. At least 15 minutes each day for 40 days. There is nothing "magical" about 40 days, however, many times scripture makes reference to 40 day time periods.

2. Read through the scriptures, find at least one application, and write your thoughts down in a separate journal. Writing sharpens your mind and your heart.

3. Pray each day for God to help you apply the principles and truths.

4. As a statement to yourself and God of your commitment to answer His call to follow him, make a decision to fast from something for 40 days. Fasting is denying yourself of something so you can focus more completely on God. Most often, people talk about fasting from food, but I'm no necessarily suggesting that here. We're talking about a 40 day diet, fasting from certain everyday things that occupy your time, so that it clears you to feast on God. If there's one thing that you just feel that you can't give up...that's probably the one to choose.

Your fast can be anything that requires a sacrifice on your behalf. Pray about it. God will show you. Determine what your fast will be and we will begin this 40 day fast that leads us closer to God.

1 comments:

Susan said...

Daniel! I found you! (and your blog, obviously)
God bless and strengthen you with your challenge!