Friday, June 4, 2010

Peter

"But Peter said, “Man, I don’t know what you are talking about.” And immediately, while he was still speaking, the rooster crowed.

At that moment the Lord turned and looked at Peter. Suddenly, the Lord’s words flashed through Peter’s mind: “Before the rooster crows tomorrow morning, you will deny three times that you even know me.” And Peter left the courtyard, weeping bitterly."
~Luke 22:60-62

This passage has been on my heart for the last few days. The part about Peter leaving to go weep bitterly. This was the man who always managed to be headstrong. This is the man that swore that even if ALL others fell away...he wouldn't! But then he did.

But instead of being rejected and destroyed, instead of realizing that he couldn't live up to what he thought he could be...he broke down and perhaps for the first time...became dependent.

This was the man that chopped off ears, tried to walk on water without staying focused on his Lord. Then he becomes the man that writes both 1 and 2 Peter, where he speaks on humility, love, and patience. This is a man who makes a 180 in a very short amount of time. What did it take? It took him breaking.

I've realized that in my life, just like in all of our lives...God creates from nothing.

God created something from nothing, after all He's a creator God.

Now it takes us becoming "nothing" for God to make "something".

Peter learned that lesson, and let perhaps the worst moment of his life...change him into a man that God could truly use! I love Jesus.

1 comments:

Deanna said...

That makes me think about Adam. God created him from the dust of the earth and hours later he assigned him the huge responsibility of naming all the animals on earth. If it were me I would have said, "Really, God? Do you think I am ready. A few minutes ago I was just dirt!" But apparently Adam had confidence AND creativity that only came from God to take on that responsibility. You know the only difference between Adam and us. Satan. Satan hadn't entered the picture when God asked him to do that. I believe God still creates us and molds us in the same way He did Adam (using flesh instead of dirt, of course), but with those same characteristics that He thinks we will need. But when we are born Satan is there to try to suck it out of us and often times he is too successful.

Wow, I wrote too much didn't I?